From October 30th to November 5th, I had the honor of being part of the transformative Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023 alongside my colleagues Charmagne Jane Escaro and Ernest Nogoy Jr. We immersed ourselves in a week of innovation, collaboration, and forward-thinking discussions, guided by this year’s theme ‘FinTech Redefined.’
As we stepped into the bustling Hong Kong Exhibition Center, the air was charged with excitement and the promise of a financial revolution. The prominent buzzwords of the event were clear: FinTech, AI, and Web3. These terms echoed through the halls, setting the stage for a week of learning and networking.
One of the major takeaways from the event was the emphasis on community in navigating the intricate landscape of FinTech. Industry experts underscored that thriving in this space is not a solo endeavor; it requires a supportive network. The idea of collaboration emerged as a recurring theme, highlighting that the success of one contributes to the success of all.
We delved into enlightening sessions led by experts who provided invaluable insights into leveraging AI and cloud technology, focusing on bridging the gap between the present and the future. Success stories from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) highlighted the power of collaboration with financial institutions to scale up businesses and create impactful narratives.
The event also shed light on crucial aspects that entrepreneurs and companies should consider:
• Community-Centric Approach: Navigating FinTech is not just about technology; it’s about collectively fostering a community to thrive.
• Real-Life Use Cases: Companies should concentrate on real-life use cases, showcasing tangible solutions to attract investors and partners.
• Long-Term Commitment: Financial institutions seek long-term commitments, resilience, and a clear vision from startup companies to establish fruitful collaborations.
• Strategic IPO Planning: Starting the IPO process requires strategic timing. It’s a meticulous journey that can take 12 to 24 months of preparation.
• Inclusive Financing: The promotion of inclusive financing addresses key pain points for FinTech companies, fostering a more sustainable and accessible financial ecosystem.
• Role of AI: Microsoft highlighted the importance of incorporating indemnity clauses to encourage the responsible use of AI technologies.
•Entrepreneurial Resilience: Insights from startup owners emphasized the importance of embracing the unpredictable and being always ready for opportunities.
As we reflect on the enriching experience at Hong Kong FinTech Week 2023, we extend our gratitude to our marketing team and the SaaS sector team for this incredible opportunity. Being part of this event not only allowed us to contribute to the future of FinTech but also provided a platform to learn, connect, and grow within this ever-evolving industry.
On a lighter note, our journey in Hong Kong wasn’t all about work. Alongside the insightful conference sessions, we explored the vibrant streets of Hong Kong and indulged in the magical world of Disneyland, combining business with pleasure. After all, success is not just about achieving professional milestones but also about cherishing the moments of joy and discovery that come along the way.